Atlanta Kids > Atlanta Kids Historic Site
 Atlanta History
Historic Sites in Atlanta  
The West End Historic District exemplifies the pattern of growth and development that characterized metropolitan Atlanta during the 19th and early 20th centuries. West End’s development began in the 1...

The Washington Park Historic District is a historically black neighborhood in northwest Atlanta encompassing historic residential, commercial, and community landmark buildings. It is situated two mile...

The U.S. Post Office and Courthouse is one of the most architecturally important and distinguished buildings of the early 20th century remaining in downtown Atlanta. Built in the Second Renaissance ...

After the devastation of Atlanta during the Civil War, the city began to rebuild itself around the railroad tracks that brought goods and people to the city. However, by the 1920s, Atlanta had a gro...

The Tullie Smith House is a typical early Georgia plantation house, the form and details of which are known as the "plantation plain" style. The Smith House contains many characteristic architectura...

The Judge William Wilson House, a two-story Greek Revival building built over a period of three years from 1856 to 1859, is one if the rare pre-Civil War buildings still standing in Atlanta. Wilson ...

Concentrated along a short mile and a half of Auburn Avenue, the Sweet Auburn Historic District reflects the history, heritage and achievements of Atlanta’s African Americans. The name Sweet Auburn ...

Within the metropolitan Atlanta area, the Stone Mountain Historic District is a rare surviving historic railroad town. This intact community contains nearly every major element of a railroad town in...

Built in 1882, Stone Hall was the administration building for Atlanta University until 1929. It is a three-story red brick Queen Anne style building with Romanesque Revival elements. The school open...

Built from 1902 to 1903, St. Mark Methodist Church is one of Atlanta’s few remaining early 20th-cenutry Gothic style granite churches. Particularly noteworthy are its stained glass windows made with...

Peachtree Southern Railway, now known as Brookwood Station, is the last passenger terminal in Atlanta, a city which owes its existence to railroads. Representing a fine example of a suburban railroa...

The NuGrape Company of America began in Atlanta in 1921 as a soft drink company. It was an innovator in the 1920s by bottling its own drinks, now a standard in the beverage industry. The National Nu...

Oakland Cemetery is an 88-acre hilly area in the southeastern section of Atlanta which contains the city’s oldest extant burial grounds. Among the 40,000 interred at Oakland are: the unmarked graves...

The Mozley Park Historic District is a typical early 20th-century residential neighborhood, located approximately three miles west of downtown Atlanta. The community is named after the original land...

This country retreat on Snap Bean Farm was once the home of Joel Chandler Harris, author of the Uncle Remus Tales. Harris was also a prominent journalist and editor of the Atlanta Constitution newsp...

The Inman Park--Moreland Historic District is comprised primarily of residential buildings that date from the late 19th and early 20th centuries. It also includes two historic schools, two historic ...

The Imperial Hotel is an eight-story early 20th-century hotel designed in a variation of the Chicago style. It is one of the remaining tall buildings in Atlanta built in the Chicago style during the...

The form of the Hurt Building, constructed from 1913 to 1926, was dictated by its irregularly shaped site and is one of Atlanta’s numerous triangular-shaped buildings. Said to be the 17th-largest of...

Completed in 1910, the Herndon Home, was the residence of Alonzo Herndon and his family. Herndon was a former slave raised in a sharecropping family after the Civil War. Herndon studied barbering, a...

Hotel Row is a single block of historic commercial buildings along Mitchell Street that, when built, was part of Atlanta’s original business district, in the shadow of the city’s main railroad stati...

The Georgia State Capitol, completed in 1889, is a landmark in the history of 19th-century American architecture. In style, form, and plan, it is a perfect expression and symbol of the idea of a Cap...

As one of the major engineering institutions in the United States, Georgia Tech, founded in 1885, has long been the driving force in the southeast in the area of technological training and innovatio...

The Garden Hills Historic District is an early 20th-century planned residential neighborhood located five miles north of the central business district of Atlanta. The roots of this planned community...

The Fox Theatre Historic District is situated at the intersection of Peachtree Street and Ponce de Leon Avenue in the Midtown section of Atlanta. It contains three major buildings: the Fox Theatre ,...

The Ford Motor Company Assembly Plant is an outstanding example of early 20th-century commercial and industrial architecture in Atlanta. It is one of the earliest automobile assembly plants in the S...

Emory University was founded in 1915 as a Methodist school in conjunction with the strong support of Atlanta’s Candler family and their Coca-Cola wealth. The campus of Emory University was designed by...

Dominating an entire wooded block near the center of downtown, the Edward C. Peters House is the best and earliest surviving example of residential architecture from Atlanta’s post-Civil War era. T...

When it opened in 1892, Grady Hospital represented the most advanced principles and philosophies of medicine and hospital architecture. The city-owned and operated hospital was named for Henry W. Gr...

The Dixie Coca-Cola Bottling Company is the oldest surviving building associated with the early days of "Coke," the soft drink that has been called "the holy water of the American South." From 1900...

Built in 1899 for Cornelius Sheehan, member of a prominent Atlanta family and owner of Greer’s Almanac, this house was moved in 1913 and converted into 10 apartments. Margaret Mitchell, author of G...

Central Presbyterian Church was constructed in 1885 as the congregation’s second church. Central Presbyterian was organized in 1858 with 39 members from Atlanta’s original Presbyterian congregation....

The Castleberry Hill Historic District is a densely developed commercial district adjacent to one of Atlanta’s main rail lines. It consists of one- to three-story brick buildings historically used f...

The Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus is not only important for its unusually innovative revival architecture and the artistry of its stained glass windows and wall paintings, but also for its rol...

The Cabbagetown District, east of downtown Atlanta, originally consisted of the Fulton Bag and Cotton Mill and the housing built for the factory workers. The mill is a complex of buildings constructe...

Burns Cottage, a replica of poet Robert Burns’ birthplace in Scotland, was constructed by the Burns Club of Atlanta. The club was organized in 1896 as a social, literary, and memorial society and has...

Brookwood Hills is a well-defined residential area that incorporates the major architectural, landscape and planning elements of suburban development of the early 1920s. In 1912, Benjamin F. Burdett ...

Developed in 1910, the Brookhaven Historic District is the oldest planned golf course and country club residential community in Georgia. It consists of three separately platted subdivisions with sim...

It is now the Shellmont Inn, a bed and breakfast. This late 19th-century eclectic residence was designed by Atlanta architect Walter T. Downing for Dr. William P. Nicolson in 1892. Dr. Nicolson was a...

A type of "apartment hotel" popular during the 1920s, the Atlanta Biltmore Hotel and Biltmore Apartments opened in 1924 and was described as the "city’s point of contact with the world beyond its ow...

The Atlanta Civic Center has, for more than three decades played host to some of the world’s most highly anticipated productions. The Atlanta Civic Center earned the privilege of serving as the offi...

The Adair Park Historic District is a residential neighborhood located southwest of downtown Atlanta and adjacent to the Norfolk Southern Railroad tracks. This bungalow suburb was developed from the...

The Swan House is an excellent example of the Second Renaissance Revival style and represents the architectural and decorative tastes of affluent citizens in the late 1920s. Built by Edward and Emil...

Callanwolde was originally the home of Charles Howard Candler, eldest son of Asa Candler, who succeeded his father as president and director of the family-founded Coca-Cola Company. It was named aft...

The Martin Luther King, Jr., National Historic Site, administered by the National Park Service, includes King’s birth home, church and grave. The National Park Service’s Visitor Center features exhibi...

The Fox Theatre is a premier example of the American movie palace. "The Fabulous Fox" is one of the most ornate movie palaces remaining in the country, and one of the largest (250,000 square feet) mov...

© 2012. All Rights Reserved.